Saturday, November 12, 2016

Dr Ruth, Donald Trump and Ronald Reagan's wristwatch

February 1999, I was in a freezing New York, just across the street from Donald Trump's high-rise homestead, reporting for the London-based Antiques Trade Gazette on a celebrity charity wristwatch auction being beamed live via a then largely unfamiliar thing called 'the Internet'.

Unfortunately, en route to the event I left my new Pentax SLR camera on the rear seat of a yellow cab (mobile phones were still relatively new-fangled devices back then and none had cameras installed). 

Had I not lost my camera, I'd have been in the weird position of snapping at close quarters the narcissistic, bullying, misogynistic, homophobic, racist, Islamophobic, Putin-idolising, bellicose, hip-shooting, tricologically-challenged, tax-dodging, President-Elect and future Commander-in-Chief of the USA: "the most powerful job in the world". 

Trump bought Ronald Reagan's unprepossessing Colibri wristwatch that night for $7,000. I wonder if he still owns it? 


No comments: